Fall Fun

Monday, October 13, 2008

My Life's Ambition

About three years ago, the Lord impressed upon me a verse out of Acts 20, verse 24. I have sense claimed it as a life verse of sorts. Basically, it says that I should not consider my life as dear to myself. I should die to myself- not only in all the big ways (my plans, my wants, my desires, my choices) but in the small everyday ordinary ways(allowing someone to go before me in the check out line, or serving someone with a small act of kindness that requires a sacrifice of time). And it goes on to say the purpose for not considering one's life dear in and of itself. I love that. God does not leave us hanging. He does not just say die to yourself- do not hold onto your life. Although He does not owe us a reason. He could just simply say it. However, He further explains...

He gives us REASON. SO THAT...we may finish the course that He has set for us-

This reminds me of John 17 where Jesus is praying to His Father in heaven and says that He has glorified Him by finishing the work that God gave Him to do. How often do we try to put things on our "to do" list simply because they are good, but fail to ask ourselves, "God is this the work you have assigned for me?" He has blessed us each with different personalities, tastes, spiritual gifts and natural talents for His purposes- for His work. He has planned every good work before hand, that we should walk forth in them (Ephesians 2:10). Oh the Sovereignty of God! How I take such comfort in knowing that He has planned all things. Nothing is in vain.

The course- what is our course? Testifying of His grace. This is telling others of His goodness and grace (charis- meaing unmerited and undeserved favor) in our lives. This does not have to be some huge "Roman road" talk about the how one becomes a follower of Christ, but simply sharing who we were before we met Him and who He is, how we need Him, how He has changed us and is changing us. He is our everything. And out of the fondness of the heart, the mouth speaks. Let us pray that He would give us boldness and wisdom in declaring the truth with gentleness and repsect. (1 Peter 3:15)

Over the past month, I have had the blessing of attending Beth Moore's Lit Bible study and last week's lesson was over translations. I had to miss the lesson due to my rescheduled Open House, but thankfully my wonderful roommate let me copy her notes. This week Beth encouraged us to look up passages of Scripture in different translations (word for word, thought for thought, etc). I generally use the NASB and occassionally the NIV, but I decided to look up Acts 20:24 in the KJV tonight.

Interestingly, there is an additional phrase not found in the other translations- "But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God."

JOY....perhaps you have heard of the catchy acrostic/acronym:Jesus Others You.

I think about the Westminister Catechism: the chief end of man is to glorify God AND enjoy Him forever. May He become my chief joy and yours!

How often does my heart wander- how often am I seeking God and...God and a wonderful job, God and a husband, God and.....

He is enough. He alone satisfies! He is our joy. In His presence, there is fulness of joy. In His right hand there are pleasures forever! Psalm 16:11

Let us run this race- our eyes set on Jesus. He has begun the faith in us and He will finish it. We walk out as He works within. He endured the cross for the JOY set before Him. Let us follow His lead.

Look for Him. Seek Him while He may be found. For on the way...we will serve Him in the everyday ordinary things of life and we will find joy in Him.

Press on.

Oh the goal of this life- that I may be His wholly. That at the end (which is really the beginning) a wretch like me might be able to hear the words, "Well done good and faithful servant". For He is faithful! 2 Tim2 :13 (If we are faithfuless, He remains faithful, for He cannot disown Himself)

His,
Ashley

No comments: