Fall Fun

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I just pass him by

Why dont' I stop?

So I was just sitting at the intersection of Gessner and 290, as I do everyday on my way home from school, and I tried not to stare at the man standing there. His sign read," Never thought it would happen to me, but God humbles everyone."

I have seen another man standing there the past couple of weeks, but this was a different man with a different sign. I always wonder where they got the materials to make the sign. Did they dive through a dumpster? or save up to get a marker? or perhaps someone let them borrow one...

How often do I just drive by....not knowing what to do? I even makesure my doors are locked (as advised by my mom). I think, "he probably won't spend the money I give him wisely", or "Oh if only I had some cash today..." or, "I wish I was a guy so I would feel comfortable offering him a ride to the nearest restaurant and I could pick up his meal....tell Him about Jesus...."

But I don't do anything. The paralysis of analysis. I am not held accountable for what that man does with my money or with the things that I give him, if I gave him anything at all, that is.

I am held accountable for using the gifts God has given me with wisdom. But is worldly wisdom an accuse for not acting out of faith or for being complacent? How often are we like....oh we shouldn't do that because "that's not wise"! Oh but the wisdom of this world is foolishness to God! (1 Cor 1)

In Hebrews, the author exhorts the body to show hospitality to all, for by doing so they may entertain angels. We do not know who that man is. He is a person. Someone God chose to give life. And I just pass him by.

Why?

Am I afraid he wouldn't receive my gift? Am I selfish? or am I just lazy? I don't want to be interrupted from my adgenda...

Most of Christ's ministry occurred during so called "interruptions" from one town to the next, from one work to the next...He was stopped along the way- to cast out demons, give the blind sight, feed the 5000, stop a woman's bleeding...

May I be open to interruptions....

But I just pass him by....

No comments: