Fall Fun

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Seasons


Don't you just love fall? The changes of the leaves (well in some parts of the world), the cooler weather (again, in some parts of the world) and the ushering in of the holiday season. I just love seeing the pumpkins outside of the grocery stores. They just make me happy. What is it about this change? It is not unique from Summer turning to Fall, for I get excited when it changes from Winter to Spring as well. What is the source of this excitement? I think it is the human fascination with something new, something different, a change.

Isn't Our Creator so infinitely wise that He created the world we live in with seasons? I love the changing of the seasons, the fact that God makes all things new. New beginnings. Fresh starts. Many people who know nothing about the One who made them do know something about the idea of a clean slate. A new chance. Isn't is almost unbelievable that our God is the one who redeems? He restores! He renews. 2 Corinthians 5:17 If anyone is in God, He is a new creation. The old has gone. The NEW has come!

Not only do we see seasons in Creation, we see seasons in life. I work with some amazing women. Each of them are in a completely different stage of life than I- most are married, some have young babies, some elementary school kids, some jr. high and some high school. And then there is me. I am starting my second year of teaching, sharing a house with 2 amazing girls, and just enjoying this time of singleness (or at least on most days). Today was twin day for Homecoming Week, and we all dressed alike. I have to admit, it was pretty fun having an excuse to wear pig tails. Something about it just made me feel like a little girl again.

Each season brings its various trials, pains, joys and celebrations. We must not dwell on the future....things will get better when I graduate, when I get a job, when I get married, when I buy a house, when I have a baby, when the kids graduate, when I am done paying for this......etc.

We must not dwell on the past, on what could have been or what might be. We must realize that our life is merely a midst that appears for a little while and then vanishes (James 4:14). We must live in the present. My dear Sunday School teacher through out college once told us that she prayed that the Lord would give her the ability to truly enjoy each stage of life. She and her husband even gave the stages of life names (ex: the sippy cup stage or the paper and pencil stage). I have began the habit as well. For, like Elisabeth Elliot said, "Where ever you are be all there." For this time, this place, the Lord has chosen for us. Let us not shrink back from living as He has called us to live. I pray that He would help me to simply focus on being in His presence as I walk through out this thing called life.

"The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup. Thou dost support my lot."Psalm 16:5

He is our portion. He has given us our present assignment. Rather we are taxi driver to our kids, working a 9-5 job and then some, or in our 80's spending time with our grandchildren, He is our portion. He is our treasure, and He is moving in our lives. If only we would ask Him to help us enjoy our season. For it is just a season. And it will soon pass....

No comments: